Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Pennsic Planning


I've not kept up here as much lately with the business of the Urban Tribal events and because my Dad had a stroke June 19th and is still in the hospital. Was in ICU about 10 days, then in acute for a week, then to rehab for a week and a half or so, where he made great progress. a couple blood pressure incidents sent him to acute care at St. Mary's hospital. Been back and forth a lot visiting Dad, trying to help Mom(who took the photo I've posted) however I can and then traveling back here for the work week. they are about 3.5 hour south. We're staying positive that Dad will be back in health south rehab hospital soon. Please keep us in your positive thoughts.


Wasn't sure I'd be making it to Pennsic with all that's happened. Though wonderful, the Urban Tribal events were a lot of work and with Dad's situation, I wasn't sure I'd be able to prepare or even be able to be there without worrying too much. But, I'm going for at least a little bit and hoping to see some friends, dance and burn away stress.


I haven't mentioned this here before, but I have an autoimmune thyroid condition which is exacerbated by stress. Doc upped my meds a few days ago, so I'm looking forward to them taking effect and these current symptoms resolving. Also have added Bollywood/Bhangra aerobics to up my metabolism and generally feel good. It isn't easy with these symptoms, but necessary. I'm also reducing and hope to eventually cut out gluten since food sensitivities and allergies are more common with thyroid conditions and Celiac's disease is directly linked with autoimmune disorders and specifically thyroid conditions. I'm also adding evening primrose oil, co Q 10 (an anti-inflammatory) and acidofilous. I'm reading up on more specific foods that are good for and bad for this condition; apparently there's a semi-long list of foods called goitrogens that contribute to the development of goiters-broccoli, cauliflower, kale, brussel sprouts, and kamut name a few. so I'll be avoiding those too. Just when you think a healthy vegetarian diet is enough ... ;-P I'm willing to do whatever it takes to improve. For one, who wants to be miserable? and two- I have a two year old boy and a wonderful doggie that depend on me. If I don't function, then they suffer. PLUS, I am married- I'm sure that Husband really prefers the functional me. ;-)


Especially after the Jill Parker immersion in June, I'm especially aware of and grateful for the healing, self-growth benefits of Belly Dance. I knew about and took advantage of them before, but the immersion with Jill *Belly Dance Goddess* Parker hit on a very deep level for me. I know the other wonderful ladies who joined me in this experience would agree that it was for them too. I am grateful to all who were there and contributed to the energy boost I got from the 4 amazing days in Marta's D.C. home!


I already had some things set up at Pennsic and am looking forward to the fun!


Will perform in the Folkloric show Sat. Aug. 1st, which starts at 7:00 pm in the Middle Eastern tent (and _maybe the ME Dance Expo- starts at 1:00 pm in the performing arts pav) and teach Unique Combos and Layers for ME Dance Sun. Aug. 2nd at noon in the ME tent at Pennsic! Hope to see you there! Come say hello! :)

2 comments:

  1. I've been thinking of you and am sending you a hug, though you are probably off at Pennsic by now and hopefully relaxing and having a wonderful time. I have thyroid issues myself which are currently untreated so I relate to that... I really need to find a good doc here in Morgantown (or else trek 3 hours to my old doctor in MD!). Sending you good thoughts for things to settle down a bit, Bella and I would love to see you! We saw an Angelo's restaurant in Clearwater and thought of you both. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the hug and good thoughts! :) No, i'm still here and sewing, washing, ironing, planning my class, staging for packing, etc.

    Google Robin Garrett, Cheat lake family practice in Morgantown, wv. that's who I see currently and have been pleased so far.

    Must have been an awesome restaurant! :) We'll see you soon, for sure!

    ReplyDelete