Thursday, August 26, 2010

Moments of magic

Twice this morning, Angelo sat up in bed, very sleepily and clapped when he looked over at me. He was happy I was there. I was happy I was there. :) Later in the day, he came up and said, "My friend Mommy is not gone." "My friend Mommy"! So sweet!

I think the fact that he is finding extra happiness that I'm still here, not going anywhere may be related to our ending our nursing relationship. I don't know if psychologically I'm ready to say he is weaned, and my body certainly hasn't gotten the message, but we have not nursed since Friday. I intended on doing extended breast feeding and following his lead for the most part. But, I've finally reached the point where I have to stop. I have to detox and get some energy back. I feel he's old enough, has reached a maturity level that I can reason at least a little with him. It has been tough on both of us, but going relatively well. That's all I can say right now.

I went to see Eat Pray Love today. A couple posts ago, I mentioned the Italian theme running through my life? Well, she goes to Italy in this movie! I didn't know that before I went to see the movie! I knew India, but not Italy! I was especially struck by the guy in the barber shop's description of Americans and her learning "the art of doing nothing". I think that's why I have enjoyed the company of Italians so much- I've felt this American need to go, go, go, do, do, do exhausting, pointless and nearly disgusting. That "American work ethic" combined with perfectionism has had me want to run for the hills! Why can't we just "be"? Hmm.. well, I think I'm getting the message. :)

julia12-420x0.jpg

3 comments:

  1. Please tell me how you are getting him over it... I am so ready for Bella to BE DONE. She keeps telling me she is going to nurse forever. Also today she said... "Mommy, I miss my friend Angelo!" :) Congratulations on moving through this phase of life with your little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just about to post something about the process and something that has helped me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that is so sweet that she said that! I just re-read the comment and it registered further. :)

    ReplyDelete