That post about holiday countdown calendars got me excited to make our own. Here's how you can make one like ours (I'll reference this next year so you can count down for more than 4 days if you like, but don't let the short time stop you. :) )
1. Lightly sand 24 playing cards (optional)
2. Punch 24 small, 24 medium and 24 large circles out of patterned scrap paper using paper punches. Alternately, cut them out. You can use lids as templates or free-hand.
3. Ink the edges to distress (optional) and draw about 2 circles around the edges. Mine are messy are artsy, just the way I like it. I used a sharpie fine-tipped pen. I also used it to hand write the numbers.
4. Glue the stacked circles together and then staple to the sanded cards.
5. Sew across the top of the sanded cards.
6. Stack the sanded cards on top of 24 other cards and sew on 3 sides to make pockets for tags.
7. Cut tags (smaller than your sewn area) using an electric cutter (I used my Cricut). You can also use a paper punch or cut by hand and punch a small hole or staple the string/cord.
8. Use jute to string the tags.
9. Write special activities or special treats on the tags. We wrote "popcorn and a movie", "go see Christmas Trees at Museum", "Read a big stack of books" (really big- Mommy and Daddy took turns with each book), (and others below).
10. Wrap jute around a batting and velvet covered (stapled) board and clip cards onto jute with mini clothes pins.
|My rock drill he'd really been wanting to use.|
|The 2 thin shells we managed to drill through.|
|Paper snowflakes have continued to be a huge hit. The Trader Joe's sales flyer made some great ones.|
Now, I'm back to sewing (set up a temporary kitchen station for more progress) and the rest of the day.
Happy almost Winter Solstice!!!