Tuesday, May 17, 2011

My Mother's Art


Interestingly, I came across most of these pieces when I was working in the attic on Mother's Day. In the attic, where I'll be working on my art, I was bound to ponder how my Mother's art and craft has influenced my creative life. Though I no longer do pottery (I have a few pieces around here that I made as a young child, most likely with my Mom) and most of my paintings are either backgrounds for collage or just messing around, I know that growing up seeing my Mom create has encouraged me to do so myself. She also sewed, knitted, crocheted, macramed, airbrushed, made candles, did woodworking and surely some other things I've missed. We may not work in the same mediums, but I've either inherited or learned my Mother's "just try it" attitude. Except for knitting... for some reason, I have some sort of resistance to learning to knit. Weaving, however, is high on my list of "things to try".

So, it's really my Mother's fault that I have so many supplies in varying mediums. Ha Ha!

Thank you, Mom! :)


2 comments:

  1. Oh, I especially like the candle holders and mug. We are in the process of buying a new home and I will finally have space for a small pottery studio!
    As for you, go forth and create! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Birdie! I've been working on some ATC's for an upcoming swap for a couple of days now- very exciting to be actually working "in" the attic rather than "on" it. :) Congratulations on your pottery studio!! :)

    ReplyDelete