You can see the ingredients I used on the first attempt in the picture above. I was trying to skip the whole "wait 2 days to make the rubbing alcohol and lavender oil become floral water" part because I waited until I was out of toner to look up the recipes again. In this case, hoping for the best just didn't work. In any case, I have sensitive skin, so I avoid toners with alcohol in them anyway. Duh. So after a few days of using the first formula, I gave up and cleaned the sink with it.
My second attempt I am much happier with. No bright red face and "ow, ow, ow"; just a nice, effective toner that does what I want it to do. It even works better than the toner I was just using, which was all natural, but too harsh for my skin. Keeping in mind that I have oily and sensitive skin, I came up with a formula that I thought would work:
-almost 4 oz. witch hazel extract (which is in alcohol, but the witch hazel would not keep otherwise and this variety has more witch hazel than the drug store versions.); soothing, calming
-about 20 drops of lavender essential oil (soothes acne, increases elasticity of skin and is one of the most gentle essential oils there are. It can even be used neat. Even so, I used less than what might normally would be called for.)
-about 6 drops of vegetable glycerin (moisturizing)
Even with my "learning curve", this toner still probably cost less than the 4 oz. of toner I just ran out of. Or is at least a wash and the next batch with be "free". Also, it gave Angelo a chance to help Mommy in the kitchen again- observing the scientific process, learning about solutions, measuring, fractions, volume, practicing pouring and one his favorite activities- opening things (building more fine motor skills.)
The sky is beautiful here today! If yours is not, I hope it will be tomorrow! Have a wonderful day!