Thursday, October 13, 2011

Polymer Clay Image Transfer


Another entry for the ArtChix owl challenge.  Though I thought it may be complicated, the polymer clay image transfer was really simple.  Clean hands with hand sanitizer (gets everything off and prevents lint and hair from getting on the clay), roll out Sculpy clay to about 1/4" thick, gently burnish your toner based image (from a laser printer or toner copier) onto the clay, use an X-acto knife to cut the excess clay away (if desired; also if desired, trim your image), bake according to directions on a baking sheet covered in aluminum foil, remove paper when baked.  Easy!  I even used the paper image in another project because not a lot of the toner transferred.  I didn't try it because I didn't want to over-bake the clay, but my Image Transfer Workshop book said that if the image didn't transfer, you can re-burnish and bake longer.  However, the picture in the book also had a pretty clear paper image and a not-so-crisp transfer.  That's kind of the thing about transfers, though.  They aren't supposed to be super crisp, but will have a somewhat ghostly look.

The stars on this project are made of paper clay and Angelo gave me some help making those with a little star cutter.  The background papers are ArtChix's Halloween backgrounds.

I'm getting so excited about the upcoming Haunted Collage workshop!! I'll have some more Halloween art up here soon.  Thanks for looking!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment