Friday, February 17, 2012

Educational and Visually Stunning

Downton Abbey- it's official, I'm addicted!!  Finally after enough descriptions, recommendations and a chance viewing of the latest episode, I downloaded the first and second seasons on iTunes. Loving history, especially the way people lived their daily lives, and costumes as I do and being obsessed with family history, knowing the time period that my grandparents were born into in is especially interesting.  For example, my maternal grandmother was born in 1916, and my maternal grandfather was born in 1914, so when I watch episodes of Downton Abbey set in 1917, I can say, "Granny was 1 year old then" or "Paw Paw Charlie was 3 years old then" and picture them in their little boots and dresses. Also, visually, it is a feast for the eyes.  All that velvet and beading- just gorgeous! And the filing drawers and old style books have me wanting to dive in and collect for my house. 

If you haven't watched these episodes yet and would like to, do not panic when I talk about the episode I recently watched with the curling iron. No spoilers, just something that set off another obsession- something I just had to find out.  Series 2, Episode 3 has a few scenes where they are using a corded curling iron!  I knew about Laura Ingalls heating her slate pencil to curl her new fangled fringe, and knew electricity had been around for a bit, but seeing a corded curling iron sent me searching.  When did they start using corded curling irons?! Though I ran into a few somewhat informative, but basically useless articles, this blog post had actual pictures of curling irons similar to what were used in the episode.  And now I can rest.  I still don't have the actual date they started using corded curling irons still, but for some reason, seeing these pictures labeled as "Victorian" allows me to get on with my day. 

Since blog posts are always better with pictures, check out this really interesting one I found on Wikipedia when researching the curling iron:

No comments:

Post a Comment